Oracle Is Still King Of The RDBMS Hill

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The worldwide relational database management systems market saw a 12.6% growth spike in 2007 to US$18.8 billion compared to $16.7 billion in 2006, according to IDC.  While new features and innovations helped drive up revenue, some of the market’s overall growth is also attributable to fluctuations in currency exchange rates, noted the report’s author, analyst Carl Olofson.  The weak U.S. dollar has help drive up software vendors’ reported revenues outside the country. 

Oracle once again took the top spot, capturing 44.3% of the market with revenue growth of 13.3%.  IBM came in second with a 21% share, also logging a 13.3% revenue growth rate.  It was followed by Microsoft, with 18.5% of the market and a 14% jump in revenue.  Sybase and Teradata rounded out the top five, garnering market shares of 3.5% and 3.3%, respectively.  Oracle’s continued strength came from sales of database options, such as its Real Application Clusters offering, Olofson said.  “Oracle Database 11g has experienced unusually high early adoption rates for a major release,” he added.  The top five vendors take up more than 90% of the market, but “there is plenty of dynamism and growth potential” in the other 10%, Olofson wrote.  For example, the open-source database maker Ingres took just .1% of the market in 2007, but that represented a 206.6% growth rate, according to the report.

Reference : http://www.cio.com/article/415414/IDC_Oracle_Maintains_Lead_in_Database_Market

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: